The Romans...Ancient Rome and Roman Britain, fact packed, fun workshop day.
Romans...exciting workshop day...!
Roman Day is pitched at key stage 2 children and will enhance their understanding of Roman culture, who the Romans were and how they lived. The visit can be tailored to your requirements. You can choose to have the focus on Julius Caesar, The Claudian Invasion and Conquest, the power of the Roman Army, Romanization of Britain and Hadrian's Wall. Alternatively you can have a more general look at the Romans, Roman civilization, famous Romans, The Roman Army etc.
We cover the following subjects:
- The Army
We explain the importance of roads and towns, transportation and trade within the Empire.
The children will have the oportunity to see a wide range of Roman artefacts and clothing, plus military weapons and equipment.
They will also take part in practical activities relating to life in Roman times.
Children taking part in a Roman soldier activity. Here they are trying out the famous "Tortoise" formation.
These children are involved in a timeline activity based on events relating to the invasion of Britain.
The children will get to see a full set of Roman soldier armour, weapons and equipment. We explain why the Roman army was so effective, its basic organization, training and tactics.
Roman towns were essential to government. Here the children are learning about the layout of a typical Roman town and the key buildings which would be found in most of them.
In some schools the children do dress up for Roman Day. These children have really gone to town on their costumes. Although not essential it does add to the fun of the day.
- How many children can take part?
- One or two classes is comfortable, three at a push.
- Do you need the school hall?
- Having the use of the hall is ideal but not essential.
- Do you work in secondary schools?
- Yes, we can work in secondary schools.
- Can the infants join in?
- No, this workshop is not really suitable for KS1.
- What is the format or the day?
- When you submit an enquiry we will reply with a quotation and some notes about how the day is organized together with outline timings.
- Do we need to provide anything?
- We require a computer, projector and screen in the morning and staff to help run activities in the afternoon. These can be parent helpers.