Seaside Day...have a seaside day in your own school!
Seaside...Seaside WOW day!
Having your own seaside day in school is a great alternative to arranging a school trip to the seaside
Our Key Stage 1 Seaside Day is the perfect way for your children to learn interesting facts and information about the seaside..
The workshop is age appropriate with lots of fun and joining in. As well as listening and learning there are practical activities too.
Because we are very experienced at working with younger children you can be sure that everyone will be fully engaged from start to finish.
The children will learn about:
- The seaside then and now.
- The history of the seaside and why people went there.
- The industrial revolution.
- Victorian and Edwardian seaside holidays.
- Bathing machines
- Seaside entertainment
- Punch and Judy
The highlight of the day is watching a traditional Punch and Judy Show. In past times no trip to the seaside would be complete without an ice cream, a donkey ride and seeing at least one performance of Punch and Judy.
These children are watching the Punch and Judy Show. It was a lovely sunny day and so we were able to set up outside.
Seaside holidays became increasingly popular in Victorian times. This cartoon shows a family disembarking from a steam ship.
It is surprising how many children have not seen a Punch and Judy Show. Our puppet theatre is very impressive and watching the show is a very exciting and memorable experience.
Another highlight of the day is the chance to examine our collection of vintage Punch and Judy puppets many of which are extremely valuable.
Children busy making a miniature Punch and Judy Show from card. We usually do this step by step sometimes with as many as ninety children in the school hall all following on.
Steam trains are covered when we are learning about the history of the seaside. It is hard for children to imagine a time when there were no or very few motor cars.
- What do we need to provide?
- We require the use of a computer, projector and screen in the morning. There may also be some photo copying to be done for some of the activities. Crayons, scissors and writing materials will also be required.
- How long does the Punch and Judy Show last?
- The Punch and Judy Show lasts for approximately thirty minutes.
- Do we need the school hall?
- For one class we can work in the classroom but for larger groups the hall would be useful.
- What is the format for the day?
- When you send in an enquiry we will reply with a quotation and a timetable for the day. We are flexible on timings and will adjust to fit in with your needs.
- How many children can take part?
- We can manage two classes comfortably. Up to four classes is possible.
- How much do you charge?
- Prices vary. Please submit the enquiry form to receive a quotation.
Children were fascinated by the Punch and Judy show and very keen to write a script for their own puppet show tomorrow!
Ron is very good with the children - in the fun style of the favourite childrens' entertainer!
We had a great day!